Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sweet Pepper Jelly

I will eventually upload the recipe for gumbo and potato salad, but I made pepper jelly today. I don't know how it truly is yet because it hasn't set, but the little unset bit that I tasted was really good :)

Ingredients:
-3/4 c. chopped green bell pepper (we used 1/2 red bell pepper and 1/2 green bell pepper)
-1/4 c. chopped jalapeno pepper (fresh) (approximately 1 large pepper and 1 small pepper)
-1 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
-6 c. sugar
-4 oz. pectin (aka Certo)
-6 (1/2 pt) canning jars with lids (I just used one big jar. You need sterilized canning jars if you plan on storing these things in your pantry for a while. I plan to eat mine as fast as I can).

In case you are at a loss as to where to find Certo, it's on the baking aisle, kind of by the marshmallows.

Directions
1. Finely mince bell pepper and hot pepper. I watched a wikihow on how to mince things. I have a chopper, but I didn't want to use it. Apparently you just cut the top off, cut it in half, scrape out the inside (unless you want the spice), and slice it into strips. After that, turn the strips perpendicular to yourself and chop them into tiny pieces. Voilà!!!


And this is proof that you should try checking out farmer's markets or pick your produce very very very carefully. I got this pepper from Walmart :( Luckily, I bought two and the other was fine. It's always a good idea to pick up back-up!


Combine pepper, vinegar, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. MAKE sure the sugar is dissolved, or it won't set right.



2. Remove from heat and add Certo. The packages are 3 oz., and it calls for 4 oz., so you'll need to premeasure or eyeball it (not a good idea when canning).


3. Pour into jars. Be careful not to spill the hot liquid on yourself. It will HURT!


4. Leave it alone and let it set. This can vary. I read that it can take an hour to a day. You can tell by consistency. It may not set, in which case something might be a little off.

A great way to eat pepper jelly is with cream cheese and crackers. You just get out a brick of cream cheese and put it on a plate. Pour pepper jelly over it and eat it together on crackers. DELICIOUSO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment